A tree native to mountainous regions from North America to Asia, cedar is known for its strong properties. There are many species of cedar but western red is commonly used for gardening purposes.
- Whilst native to areas outside of the UK, the species was introduced to Britain, planted in the UK for timber. British red cedar wood will be locally sourced and reduce emissions in terms of transport.
- Whilst some species of cedar are endanger, the western red cedar in Britain is not.
- The wood is durable and naturally resistant to fungi, due to natural preservatives.
- Cedar woods can be found FSC certified.
- The wood is usually reasonably priced.
- Imported red cedar tends to be more durable than locally sourced, but not by too much. Imports will also have more impact on the environment due to the amount they will travel.
- Cedar imported from non-certified sources and from abroad may have further environmental impacts, threatening habitats along with indigenous cultures.
Herbicides can ensure that a weed dies, and that plants and gardens continue to thrive, and labels help to ensure proper usage and attempts to mitigate chemical leaks.. However, there are concerns about chemical leaks into the environment which kill and impact organisms. There are also issues in which synthetic herbicides can attack other, unintended organisms, impacting the wildlife in and near gardens. Organic herbicides are an alternate to synthetic ones (more information can be found below) which have less of an impact on the environment and help to ensure the local environmental survives and can be sustainable.
- Mulching an area can be a great way to reduce weed germination, stopping weeds from growing. Organic mulch can also be part of an ecosystem for bugs and other organisms. (ref)
- There are natural weed killers, made with substances such as citrus acid. (ref)
- In carful concentrations, vinegar, soap and salt can also kill weeds.(ref)
- Hand pulling weeds. (ref) Weeds will probably come back unless the roots are also pulled up.
- Flame weeding can kill the top of a plant. (ref)
- A well maintained lawn can create too much competition for weed. (ref)
- Boiling water on plants can be an alternate. (ref)
- A knife can be used to cut weeds back. (ref)
- An impermeable surface can stop weeds from growing, but will also stop everything else growing too. (ref)
- There are guides which specify how to repel certain pests from the garden. (ref), (ref)
Herbicides and Pesticides